Monday 26 June 2023

The eye of the storm

Well, I'm still here!

Since my last post, we've had eight full runs of the show, five of which were performed to a full theatre which seated around 340 people. It's been pretty exhausting, but also exilerating to have an enthusiastic audience that helps you find the energy you need to bring life to your characters and routines.

I'm now one day into a three-day reprieve, after which we do it all again, with six more performances, all of which are already sold out. I look forward to performing this show whilst feeling refreshed and energised.

The other big thing that happened last week is that IFLA announced that its 2024 World Library and Information Congress (WLIC) will be held in Dubai. There have been a lot of feelings expressed about this.

I've spent much of the past couple of hours trying to sum up my feelings about this, and probably written and deleted a good thousand or so words on the matter.

Basically:

We need to be open to all cultures in order to have a global discourse.

If some choose to exclude others, then we need to find an equitable path forward.

This is not always possible, and you may need to pick a side that favours some people and discriminates against others. You can't be neutral.

I don't want to play this game.

No comments:

Post a Comment