Saturday 18 June 2016

What to do when you have nothing to do?

I have nothing to do today.

Well, that's a lie. I have two commitments today - write this blog post and attend a birthday party tonight.

It's a strange feeling. It was strange to go to sleep last night, and not have to set my alarm clock, but instead let my body sleep as much as it needed to, and then wake up naturally. That turned out to be eleven and a half hours of sleep. It makes me realise exactly how busy my life has been lately, and how much I've fallen into a pattern of being perpetually busy. Most days of the week, I'm in the office from 9am to 7 or 8pm. Even when I went on vacation for 15 days, I didn't give myself time to just relax and do nothing - such a thing would have felt like a waste of valuable time when travelling abroad.

Even now, I'm resisting the temptation to head into the office and get ahead on some of my work.

And yet, when I compare myself now to myself back in Australia, there would have been many a time when I'd go to my favourite cafe or park, and listen to music or just read. I don't know if I've changed since then, or if it's more my status as an ex-pat, where I need to use every moment to get the most out of my experience overseas, because once I return, that opportunity will be gone.

Or maybe I should just stop overthinking it, chill out and go read a book or see a movie. There are worse problems I could be having.

No comments:

Post a Comment