Thursday 16 June 2016

Why BlogJune?

So, we've just hit the halfway point of BlogJune, and this seems as good a time as any to reflect on the act of blogging... in a blog post, of course! For those unacquainted with BlogJune, it all started here on CW's blog. The challenge - to blog every day for the month of June. This is my third year of participating.

I originally started blogging on 22nd of April, 2001. Over fifteen years ago. Of course, we didn't call it "blogging" back then - we were on LiveJournal, or LJ. And it wasn't a challenge to blog every day. In fact, if I didn't blog at least once or twice a day, there was probably something very wrong. It wasn't just a blogging platform - it was the online community space of choice, before Facebook joined the scene. Most of my friends had an LJ account, and we'd casually update our peers on what was going on in our lives, whether it was ranting about personal issues (often), organising social events (sometimes), or leaving cryptic posts that were more attention-seeking than of actual significance (rarely but more often than I'd care to admit).

Looking through it now, I spotted this choice post:

My LJ account still exists - as do the accounts of many of my friends - and now it stands as something of a time-capsule of my mid-to-late 20s. The very thought of deleting one's LJ back then would be akin to deleting one's Facebook account now - so many memories erased from existence. I don't remember the exact point when Livejournal "died", but I pretty much stopped using it when I moved cities in March 2009, and with the change of scene comes a change of social circles. By then it was all about Facebook.

Of course, I don't have the time, energy, or narcissistic exuberance to be blogging like this 3-4 times a day anymore. However, one thing I like about BlogJune is that it creates a month-long snapshot of my life - where I am, what I'm doing, what my hopes and dreams are. I like going back to another time, and watching my life unfold from day to day, with its associated thoughts. It reminds me of who I used to be - the good and the bad - and thus appreciate how far I've come (or how far I've deviated!).

No comments:

Post a Comment